Wesaudio _RHEA 500 Series Vari-mu Tube Compressor
Since digital footprint became part of the modern age, analog flavor was demanded more than ever. It is hard to imagine more musical and rich sounding compression than vari-mu desgin. This time ng500 line presents _RHEA – most noble of all, where modern age meets vintage, literally. The WesAudio _RHEA is true tube compressor, where gain reduction is literally implemented via tube circuit. As vari-mu design is feed backward compression, its behavior is known for amazing musical results! To properly integrate tubes into modern audio levels, just before signal is passed to the tubes, transformers are doing their magic, strongly emphasizing the low-end.
With MIX knob at your disposal, parallel compression has never been simpler to achieve, With _RHEA your MIX setting can be automated in your DAW. Did You ever wanted to push your compressor harder in chorus? Nothing simpler… just record automation using touch sensitive encoder, or draw your automation lines in DAW.
“Thump” or “Thumping” in vari-mu compressors is very specific effect when side chain control voltage gets into the signal. This is caused because of very small tubes imbalance. It may bring to the processed signal some additional low-end artifacts – in fact in many cases this may be a desired effect, as it will strongly emphasize low end content. However, for lower volumes and more gentle source materials, it can start to be audible. All our tubes get through very complex pairing and parameter checks, but some small differences can still cause this effect to happen. In this situation we would strongly encourage to raise the input signal and experiment with attack and release settings.
INPUT, OUTPUT AND THRESHOLD
_RHEA allows to control the level on the signal going in the tube compression stage (Input), the amount of compression (Threshold), and finally the output of the compressor (Output). Such approach brings the best flexibility to alter the source material. It can be noticed that Threshold can be quite gentle in effect, however if more compression is desired, input knob can be used to this purpose. Please also note that each of those parameters can be automated, so don’t hesitate to change those settings in different sections of the song!
THD switch will enable a proprietary circuit which overloads output stage of the compressor. This circuit can be found in most of our units and it brings certain presence to the source material, which can’t be achieve using any other approach.
STEREO VS MONO
_RHEA is true stereo compressor which means that detector circuits of each channel are working on a summed signal in the side chain circuit. This makes it impossible to work in dual mono mode . However, it is entirely possible to work with only one mono channel at a time, so feel free to process a mono vocal track and have fun!
- 100% analog device with +24 dBu of headroom
- True stereo tube “vari-mu” style compressor
- High voltage tube operation
- Interstage CARNHILL transformers
- Input and output level control for maximum flexibility
- Mix knob for parallel compression
- THD – harmonic distortion with two modes (Medium & High)
- SIDE CHAIN FILTERS – 3 high pass filters at 60, 90 and 150 Hz
- 500 series and ng500 (e.g. _TITAN) series compatible
- Total Recall and plug-in control compatible with most DAWs
- Analog automation in DAW
- Fully digitally controlled and isolated analog circuit
- Digital recall can be acheived by connecting unit directly through front panel mini USB socket, or using it inside _TITAN chassis
- 4 touch sensitive encoders allow record automation of particular parameters (Threshold, Mix, Input, Output) in DAW,
- True bypass
- Accurate analogue GR meter and its precise simulation implemented in the plug-in itself
- Free software and firmware upgrades