Oberheim OB-X8 8-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
For the first time in more than 40 years, a legendary analog synth sound returns. The OB-X8 sounds like a classic Oberheim because it is a classic Oberheim. Its 100% analog audio path cuts through a mix like no other synth.
The audio signal path of the OB-X8 is all analog, filled with warmth and punch. It’s the same trademark Oberheim sound that made iconic tracks like 1999 by Prince, Jump by Van Halen, and Tom Sawyer by Rush so unforgettable. And now it’s yours to enhance your own music. The classic OB-series factory sounds that you know from countless recordings are all here. But that’s just the start: our network of world-class sound designers have created jaw-dropping new sounds just for the OB-X. And because the OB-X8 has a clear and easy-to-grasp set of controls, creating your own sounds is as easy as turning a few knobs and saving what you like. The OB-X8 combines the three different voice architectures of the OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8 into a single instrument. The individual filter types and other unique characteristics of each model have been faithfully reproduced, giving you the most authentic OB experience possible. You can even mix elements of different models to create sounds never possible with the originals. There’s never been an OB-series synth as powerful and versatile.
Creating the classic OB sound required more than just replicating vintage oscillators, filters, and envelopes. The Oberheim design team exhaustively analyzed and recreated the complex interactions between the various components of each OB-series synth to capture their nuances and character. The result is the most faithful, authoritative renewal of an analog classic possible — with all of the warmth, subtlety, and presence of the originals. OB insiders know that myriad “page 2″ functions unlocked the hidden power of the original OB-X, OB-Xa, ad OB-8. We’ve included all of the classic page 2 parameters and created new ones for 2022, giving you direct access to 40+ nuanced controls such as additional SEM filter modes, per-voice panning, LFO keyboard tracking, Mod delay time and envelope inversion, independent pulse width control, and much more. The unique design of the expression levers was integral to bringing out performances that made the OB-series synths famous. And for even greater expressiveness than the originals, the OB-X8 features a premium-quality Fatar keyboard with velocity and aftertouch sensitivity. Dig in with both holds for sizzling filter sweeps, intense vibrato and more.
Modulation allows you to route the LFO (low frequency oscillator) to a variety of destinations to create rhythmic filter sweeps, pulse width modulation, vibrato, tremolo, and other effects. Choose from six waveforms: sine, square, sample & hold (random), up saw, down saw, and triangle. Select the waveforms that generate the raw sound of the OB-X8. Each of the two discrete SEM-lineage oscillators produce sawtooth, pulse, or triangle waves. Combine pulse and sawtooth waves for extra punch. Hard sync and Xmod (oscillator frequency modulation) add more edge and sonic possibilities. The keyboard is where the bi-timbral capability (two different sounds at once) of the OB-X8 comes into play. Choose any two presets (“upper” and “lower”) and assign them to two different regions of the keyboard. Alternatively, layer them together for more complex textures. Adjust panning and volume independently for each preset.
The OB-X8 provides both mono and stereo line-level outputs. Connect audio cables to these jacks, plug into a mixer or amp, and start performing or recording. Use the Page 2 enhancements to save stereo pan settings (4L4R, Ping Pong, Splayed, or Spread) per program.
- 8-voice polyphony with sine, saw, square, triangle, and noise
- Two discrete SEM-lineage VCOs per voice deliver classic punchy Oberheim tone
- Discrete SEM-lineage VCFs deliver authentic OB-X-style tone and presence
- Genuine Curtis filters add bold OB-Xa/OB-8 character
- Meticulously modeled envelope responses match each OB model: OB-X, Ob-Xa, and OB-8
- The 61-key FATAR velocity- and touch-sensitive keyboard allows unparalleled expression and responsiveness
- Bi-timbral capability allows two presets simultaneously for splits and doubles
- 600-plus factory programs, including the full set of factory sounds for the OB-X, Ob-Xa, and OB-8
- Integral fanless heatsink-free power supply
- Real walnut end cheeks
- High-resolution OLED display enables patch management and easy access to advanced features
- Additional SEM filter modes add high-pass, band-pass, and notch functions to the classic OB-X filter
- Vintage knob allows variable amounts of voice-to-voice variability to emulate the behavior of vintage instruments
- Velocity sensitivity adds expressiveness to volume and filter
- Channel Aftertouch adds real-time performance-based modulation
- Enhanced unison allows variable voice stacking from 1-8 voices
- Adjustable pulse-width per oscillator enables richer and more animated timbres
- Programmable per-voice pan allows wider stereo presence
- Variable oscillator and noise levels
- LFO keyboard tracking adds per-note variation in LFO speed
- L/R Stereo and Mono outputs
- Volume, Sustain, Filter, and Arpeggiator pedal inputs
- MIDI In, Out, Thru