Greace Designs FELiX2 Instrument Preamplifier
02/2021 FELIX UPDATE!!
Released 6 years ago, FELiX helped usher in a renaissance of amplified acoustic sound quality and functionality. What once required racks of studio gear and stage techs to achieve, FELiX made available in a single, affordable and rugged /compact floor unit. Since its release, we have worked together with many demanding players to improve and hone its features and functionality, and are now pleased to announce the latest version of this little champ – FELiX2.
FELiX2 NEW FEATURES INCLUDE:
- New dual mono or true stereo FX loop allows for independent FX loops on either channel or stereo FX operation with mono or stereo in
- Stereo amp output for connecting to stereo stage amp rig
- Stereo headphone output for stereo headphone personal monitoring bliss
VARIABLE PHASE CONTROL
- Built in variable phase control on channel 2 allows users to adjust mic / pickup blending systems to be perfectly phase coherent
MORE EQ POWER
- HIGH shelving EQ control updated to include 2 transition frequency settings at 1k and 2k, allowing for more flexible high frequency tone control
- New notch filter uses a much higher Q setting for better surgical control of problem frequencies
NEW POWER SUPPLY
- Class II power supply eliminates ground loops when connecting to stage amps and other non-isolated stage equipment
BETTER STAGE MANNERS
- New protective side rails and slightly lower profile knobs to help protect controls from extra left feet and floppy stray instrument cables
CHANNEL 1 BOOST DEFEAT
- Allows the boost circuit to only affect channel 2
FELiX2 is a studio quality, 2 channel blending acoustic instrument and mic preamp, designed for working musicians, engineers, sound companies or venues looking for the highest quality solution for amplifying stringed instruments. FELiX2 is built into a roadworthy floor unit chassis of anodized aluminum and steel, portable enough to leave the rack at home but bring studio quality to the stage. With the same stunning audio performance and legendary reliability as Grace Design’s pro audio range, FELiX2 brings open, musical and nuanced preamplification to any performance situation.
A powerful eq section allows simple and intuitive tone shaping for even the most unruly of instruments. Each channel’s variable high pass filter cuts 12dB per octave from 20Hz to 1kHz, and can also be set as a notch filter for chasing down problem feedback or rumble areas. Parametric mid range controls cover from 70Hz all the way to 8KHz. While fixed low and high controls are carefully voiced for musical shading of bass and treble.
Controls are simple and clearly marked on a bright panel, making them easy to read and tweak on a dark stage. Footswitch functions include a mute / tune switch for muting all outputs except the dedicated tuner out, a boost switch which activates a variable boost circuit, and finally, an A/B mode switch for when FELiX2 is in A/B mode (which simply toggles between the two different channels).
FELiX2 brings the kitchen sink approach to I/O. Inputs include a 48V XLR mic input and two instrument inputs. Two independent transformer isolated DI outputs can be sourced from either the mix or the individual channel. This allows you to send the front of house a mix or each channel independently. A dedicated, level controlled amplifier output can be sourced from the mix or channel 2. A dedicated tuner output stays active when all the other outputs are muted. A side panel mounted 1/8” mini jack headphone amplifier is there for practicing, private noodling during boring soundchecks, or scrutinizing dubious eq decisions. Dual TRS jack send and return FX loop signals and can be configured for stereo operation or dual mono with separate FX loops for each channel.
Guitar, bass, fiddle, mandolin, cello, dare we say banjo, that weird 3 string gourd thing – FELiX2 is your instrument’s new best friend. Flexible, reliable, a good listener and eager to make you sound better, FELiX2 is also your new best friend.
Designed and built by family and friends in sunny Lyons, CO, USA.