Rupert Neve Designs 5059 Satellite 16 x 2×2 Summing Mixer – Shelford Blue Faceplate
Rupert Neve Designs 5059 Satellite 16 x 2+2 Summing Mixer is an analog mixer with 16 inputs over two 25-pin D-sub cables and dual stereo XLR outputs housed in a 2U rack-mountable chassis. The mixer features class-A amplifiers and a custom transformer circuit design by renowned electronics engineer Rupert Neve.
Stereo outputs 1 and 2 both feature continuously variable control of the sound’s texture by engaging a button which toggles between the silk blue, silk red, and bypass circuits. By turning the master texture knob you can saturate the custom transformers to add sparkle, thickness, color, and warmth to your sound.
With this mixer, you can adjust the signal level, panning position, and insert sends to outboard analog equipment for all 16 channels. You can also use the stereo outputs to sum channels into stem mixes, add harmonics, and send the stem to outboard analog equipment for processing. For example, channels 1 through 8 could be summed and sent as a stem mix to stereo 2 output, then sent through an outboard analog compressor, and then patched in as a stereo input on channels 15 and 16. This would enable you to apply the same processing to all eight tracks as a cohesive group, such as when recording a drum kit with multiple microphones.
The stem on channels 15 and 16 could then be sent through stereo output 1 to a tape recorder or an analog to digital converter (ADC) connected to a digital audio workstation (DAW).
Utilizing the send and return 25-pin D-sub connections, multiple summing mixers can be connected together to add more channels and open up additional routing possibilities.
- Channel Controls
- Each of the 16 channels on the mixer features one rotary knob for changing the channel level between -∞ and +10 dB, one rotary knob for adjusting the panning with a 3 dB pan law, one insert button to route the channel through the send and return circuit, and one stereo 2 button for sending the channel to stereo 2 output for stem summing
- Output Controls
- Stereo 1 and stereo 2 both feature a button for toggling between the silk blue, silk red, and bypass circuits, a rotary knob for adjusting the texture, and a rotary knob for adjusting the stereo output level between -infinity and 0 dB
- Silk Texture Control
- Both Stereo 1 and stereo 2 outputs each have their own silk harmonic texture circuit. Pressing the silk button once engages the red silk circuitry, which removes negative feedback from the transformers and adds harmonic sparkle to the mids and highs. It can be used to add brightness and presence to vocals and guitars. Pressing the silk button again engages the blue silk circuitry which removes negative feedback and adds harmonic warmth and thickness to the lows and low mids. It can be used to add weight and boominess to the bass and kick drum. Pressing the button a third time bypasses the silk texture circuitry
- Channel Insert Send and Return
- By engaging the insert button, the insert send and return signal is switched in for the regular input signal. This allows you to patch outboard analog equipment such as a compressor into the signal chain
- Signal Presence and Clip Indicator LED
- Green LEDS illuminate to indicate the presence of a signal and red LEDs illuminate when the stereo buss is within 3 dB of clipping
- Ground Lift Switch
- The ground lift switch separates the signal ground from the chassis ground for removing ground loop noise from the signal