D.W. Fearm VT-24 Four-Channel Vacuum Tube Microphone Preamplifier
|Like most of our products, the VT-24 came about because it was something I needed for my own recording projects. I wanted to record every microphone with VT-1/VT-2 mic preamps, but I was running out of rack space in my small control room. A four-channel version of the VT-2 would double my preamp capacity in the same space.
I did not want to compromise on the sound nor on the features of the VT-2. The VT-24 uses the identical circuit and custom Jensen input and output transformers as all our mic preamps. It has four true VU meters, but they are smaller than on a VT-1/VT-2. Specs are the same as a VT-2, and, most importantly, the sound is exactly the same.
The VT-24 has eight tubes, but it runs cool enough that no fan is required, so you can have it next to live mics without a problem.
One thing that we did have to eliminate in the VT-24 is the meter switch. But the 48V phantom power, 20dB pad, and special input selection for Low-Z microphones are just like on a VT-1/VT-2. The power switch is on the front panel.
- · Input 150 ohms
- · Input Load Impedance 1.5k ohms
- · Minimum Input Level -65 dBm nominal
- · Maximum Input Level @ 20 cps -30 dBm without pad, -5 dBm with 20 dB pad
- · Gain 53 dB
- · Frequency Response +/-0.25 dB 20 cps to 20 kc; -3 dB @ 0.5 cps and 55 kc
- · THD+Noise less than 0.25% 20 cps to 20 kc
- · Intermodulation Distortion SMPTE less than 0.02%
- · Signal to Noise Ratio 74 dB minimum
- · Equivalent Input Noise -124 dBm maximum
- · Output low-Z, transformer-balanced
- · Maximum Output Level +22 dBm, 20k ohm load
- · Power Requirements 100, 120, or 220 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- · Dimensions 19″ (48.26cm) W, 5.25″ (13.34cm) H, 14″ (35.56cm) D
- · Weight 20 lbs (9kg)
- NOTE: Frequency is specified in cycles per second (cps) or kilocycles per second (kc). These units correspond to Hz and kHz respectively. Measurements made with -50 dBm input and 50 dB gain in a 22 cps to 22 kc bandwidth. Specifications and price subject to change without notice.