MOTU Audio Express
Make the Audio Express the centerpiece of your personal studio! This 6-in/6-out audio interface puts the right connectivity where you need it: on your desktop. It’s perfect for the singer/songwriter first starting to record, yet the Audio Express offers premium sound quality (better than CD, at 24-bit/96kHz) so it’s perfect for the top-level engineer who needs a mobile recording solution. Better yet, the MOTU Audio Express features both USB and FireWire ports. That means it’ll work with nearly any computer you’ll come across, so it’s easier than ever to collaborate. Just put the MOTU Audio Express in your laptop bag, bring it to your bandmate’s house, and you can get going.
MOTU Audio Express FireWire/USB Audio Interface at a Glance:
- Powerful built-in mixer
- Control CueMix with your iPad
Powerful built-in mixer
Beyond having helpful USB and FireWire connectivity, the MOTU Audio Express has other collaboration-friendly features. One you’ll appreciate is the built-in mixer. With it, you can create four custom stereo mixes that you send through the main outputs, line outputs, S/PDIF outputs, and headphone jack. That opens up the possibilities during the recording process, enabling you to give each musician a custom headphone mix, while letting you keep your ears on the main mix in the control room. There are many ways you can and will use this feature. And you’ll be glad to know, it’s easy to create these mixes, thanks to the CueMix FX mixing software (Mac/PC) that comes with the MOTU Audio Express.
Control CueMix with your iPad
MOTU’s CueMix FX software, the mixing software that drives the powerful routing of the Audio Express, can be controlled from your iPad. MOTU created CueMix templates for the TouchOSC controller app, giving you complete control over your Audio Express’ mixing and effects processing over a Wi-Fi network. This means that when you’re recording in your studio, you don’t need to keep going back to your computer to adjust gain levels, change monitoring effects, or virtually anything else you rely on CueMix for.
Portable, packed with great sound quality, and loaded with the right I/O for the majority of home, personal, and project studio needs, the MOTU Audio Express offers a great value for any recording enthusiast or pro. Step up your sound quality with the MOTU Audio Express today!
MOTU Audio Express Features:
- 6-input, 6-output audio interface for Mac and Windows
- 6 x 8 physical input/output channels – all channels are available simultaneously and operate independently
- Hybrid FireWire/USB 2.0 connectivity – connect to your Mac or PC via either bus-powered Firewire or hi-speed USB2
- 8-bus digital mixer – routes and mixes all six inputs to any output pair
- Four separate mixes – each output pair (main outs, line outs, S/PDIF out, and phones) can have a completely different mix of all six inputs, with or without computer tracks
- Two mic/guitar combo jacks – provide hi-Z 1/4″ guitar input or XLR mic input with phantom power, 20dB pad, Precision Digital Trim, and plenty of gain.
- Stereo analog inputs – on line-level, balanced TRS quarter-inch jacks. Great for keyboards or other line level-input signals
- Stereo main outs – on balanced TRS quarter-inch jacks. Connect directly to powered speakers (or other line-level analog destination)
- Stereo 24-bit 96kHz S/PDIF digital in/out
- Stereo headphone output on quarter-inch jack with independent volume control
- Support for standard sample rates up to 96kHz
- Precision Digital Trim – digitally controlled analog trim on all inputs provides adjustments in approximately 1dB increments, so you can fine-tune the balance of your inputs and then save/recall trim configurations
- Front-panel mixing and control – each input has its own dedicated volume knob Control multiple mixes with clear feedback from front panel LEDs and metering
- CueMix FX cross-platform mixing software – attractive on-screen graphic mixing with an instrument tuner and audio analysis tools including real-time FFT display, spectrogram “waterfall” display, oscilloscope, X-Y plot and linear or polar phase analysis
- Stand-alone operation – bring the Audio Express to your gig, with or without a computer. Just plug in the included power adapter and you are ready to go. Need to tweak the mix? Just turn the front-panel knobs
- Front panel volume control of main outs and headphone jack
- Expandable – add additional interfaces for more I/O as your needs grow
- Time code support – directly resolves to (or generates) time code via any quarter-inch input or output, without the need for an extra synchronizer
- Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS) – a DSP-driven phase lock engine and internal clock source that produces imperceptibly low jitter characteristics (below the noise floor), even when the Audio Express is resolved to an external clock source via SMPTE time code
- Sample-accurate MIDI – connect a MIDI controller and/or sound module with no separate interface needed. MIDI I/O is sample-accurate with supporting software
- Foot switch input – connect a standard foot pedal switch (sold separately) for hands-free punch-in and punch-out while recording. Or map the pedal to any keystroke function in your host software
- DC-coupled TRS outputs – can be used with Volta (sold separately) to manipulate and sequence voltage-controlled modular synthesizers from a host DAW
- Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via FireWire or USB2 – compatible with all current and recent generation Macs and PCs
- Includes native 32- and 64-bit drivers for Mac OS X and Windows 7/Vista, including ASIO, WDM, Wave, Core Audio, and Core MIDI. Supports all popular Mac and Windows audio software.
- 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today’s popular audio programs
- Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for the Mac with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing & sample-accurate sync
- Bus-powered FireWire operation. No need for external power when operating as a FireWire interface connected to a computer. A power supply is included for stand-alone operation
- Chassis dimensions, excluding rack ears and front and back panel knobs and connectors: 9.5 x 7 x 1.75 inches. Knobs and connectors extend up to 0.5 inch from front and back panels, adding 1 inch to depth. With rack ears attached, fits one half of a standard 19 inch rack at 1U high.