Rupert Neve Designs 5012 Duo Mic Preamplifier is a dual-channel microphone pre-amplifier built with Rupert Neve’s custom input and output transformer circuits. The pre-amplifier is electronically balanced and designed to minimize the effects of hum, radio interference, and other dissonant noise from altering your sound. The horizontal version of this module is a half-rack unit intended to be mounted in a small horizontal rack or a bracket or tray that is itself mounted in a conventional 19″ horizontal rack.
The microphone inputs use a transformer-like-amplifier chip and a toroidal Common Mode Rejection low-pass filter to reject frequencies above 150,000 Hz. This prevents odd high-frequency harmonics from altering the sound quality of your recording signal chain. After the high-frequency rejection stage, the pre-amp uses an input transformer that provides +25 dBu of input signal at unity gain without the need for a pad. The combination of an electronically balanced circuit with a true transformer amplifier stage allows the device to retain the Rupert Neve’s sound in a small form factor.
The back panel of the device features an XLR input for channels A and B, an XLR output for each channel, and 4 x 1/4″ TRS connectors for connecting Portico bussing modules to the signal chain.
- The Silk knob on the front panel of the pre-amplifier reduces negative feedback and adjusts the frequency response of the signal to make the sound smoother and more pleasing
- Level Meter
- Each channel in the pre-amplifier features an output-reference level meter ranging from -30 to 22 dBu
- The Mute button cuts the output signal post metering and pre-buss output in the signal chain
- High-Pass Filter
- The pre-amp includes a High-Pass Filter that allows you to attenuate signals between 20 and 250 Hz. This is useful for removing motor hum, air, handling noise, and building rumble from the signal chain
- Phantom Power
- The pre-amp can provide 48V of phantom power to each channel
- Buss Output
- For connecting the pre-amp to other Portico Buss Amp/Monitoring modules, the pre-amp includes an unbalanced high-impedance Buss output. A TRS patch cord is used to connect the pre-amp to the other Portico unit
- Phase Button
- The pre-amplifier includes a Phase button that inverts the output polarity 180 degrees